Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Raina Skye Johanson Our New Baby!



Well, she's here! Finally! The process was for sure the hardest thing I've ever done. Labor progressed really well up to 9cm. Then we were stuck at 9cm for what seemed like FOREVER! By the time it was time to push, I was almost relieved. The birth turned out the be slightly complicated. Raina's head was coming out slightly sideways. (I didn't know all of this at the time, but I knew something was up when Shari the head midwife showed up and then had a couple other midwives take Steve out of the room to explain what was going on. I could also see the impatient look on Shari's face. So I knew it was time to get down to business.) I did have to have an episiotomy unfortunately. But the decision was made by Shari because it is better than having a brain damaged baby! I had no idea at the time that this was going on. Anyway, Raina is healthy and eating well. (In fact she cried as soon as her head popped out.)

Last night was first poopy! Woo hoo! (Technically her first poop was when she came out of me.) 

She's a good sleeper so far - though it's only been one night. She slept with us in bed. At this point, I highly recommend co-sleeping. It's the best way to monitor and feed the baby. 

Well, I'm going to take a break. I still feel pretty tired and sore. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Pam, and welcome to the world, Raina! What a healthy baby... beautiful name, too!

See you soon!

Malou, Mike and Ethan