Sunday, July 8, 2007

working backwards

I have a cold so I'm sitting here on the couch trying to recover. It's been a while since my last post. I'm trying to break this habit and make it a habit to post more frequently. It's weird having a cold when it is so hot outside. But there is some good news!

Steve and I both have jobs now! We will be working at Fienberg Fisher K-8 Center. Their web site seems to be down right now, but here is some information from Miami-Dade County Schools web site. The really cool thing about this school is that it is very close to home.
As you may be able to see from this image, the school is a mere 6.5 blocks away. The other nice thing, of course, is that Steve and I will be at the same school. It looks like at this point I will be teaching 3rd grade. Steve will be teaching 7th grade social studies and sciene. (Not his first choice for a subject or grade level, but definitely his first choice for a school.)

Let's see, what else... Well we have done some awesome mountain biking. They may not have the killer hills like at Patapsco in Maryland, but there are some very cool stunts and winding trails here. On the 4th of July we went to Markham Park. It was very hot, but we rode for a while. I also brought my single speed. Did I mention I have a single speed now? Well, I do. It is a Redline Monocog. It was the cheapest I could find for a single speed. I am intending to mostly ride it around town. But since I've ridden it at Markham, I am considering using it occasionally as an actual mountain bike as well. Though it could really use a suspension fork. Anyway... We rode at Markham. One of the most exciting parts of Markham was this built up "boardwalk." It was very wavy. Steve was ahead of me and around the corner, so I didn't see exactly what was coming up. All I heard from hime was, "Keep pedaling!" We made it through. I wish I had a photo.

We also went snorkeling July 3rd. This was fun. I made sure to wear lots of sunscreen, covering all of my exposed body parts - or so I thought. We explored the John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo. It was really cool to be able to drive a mere hour away to go snorkeling. We saw many fish and coral. I saw a conch. We both saw an enormous puffer fish. It had huge eyes like a cow! (Later, driving home, my but felt kind of sore. At home we realized that I managed to miss those tender parts of my butt cheeks just outside of my swimsuit. Now I know why people snorkel in t-shirts and shorts. This will be my choice next time.)

We decided to see a movie this afternoon. It is pretty hot today, so it seemed like a good idea. The only two movies playing at the time we walked into the theater - which is just a few blocks from our building by the way - was Ratatouille and Live Free Die Hard. We chose Ratatouille. It was pretty bad. So then we tried sneaking into Sicko, but that was just ending. Then we decided to try Ratatouille again - still bad. So then we thought, "Hey, Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer got terrible reviews, let's go see that." This was so awful we decided it was better to just go home.

So we are very happy to have actual jobs. Now instead of stressing out about not having jobs, we can stress out about how we are going to teach, etc.

I'm hoping to post some great pictures as soon as I can.

No comments: